9 types of Asian sauces
- Light soy sauce. Also called ‘superior’ or ‘thin’ soy sauce, light soy is a Chinese soy sauce.
- Dark soy sauce. Also called ‘black’ soy, dark soy has more sodium than light soy.
- Japanese soy sauce. Also known as shoyu.
- Mushroom soy.
- Kecap manis.
- Oyster sauce.
- Fish sauce.
- 1 What is the name of the Chinese sauce?
- 2 What is Chinese gravy made from?
- 3 What is the best Chinese sauce?
- 4 What are Chinese condiments?
- 5 What is the brown sauce at Chinese restaurants?
- 6 What’s brown sauce made of?
- 7 What is hoisin sauce used for?
- 8 What is the yellow sauce at Chinese restaurants?
- 9 What is Chinese spaghetti sauce?
- 10 What are the different types of sauces?
- 11 What is the red sauce in Chinese food?
What is the name of the Chinese sauce?
Hoisin Sauce is used more commonly in Cantonese style sauces used for restaurant dishes like Chinese BBQ Spareribs. Seasonings like garlic and chilies give hoisin sauce its unique sweet and savory flavor. In Beijing, it’s most famously used as a condiment for Peking duck.
What is Chinese gravy made from?
One of our first Chinese cookbooks, the 1917 Chinese Cook Book by Shiu Wong Chan, contains a recipe for “Chinese Gravy” made from a chicken- and pork-flavored stock, cornstarch, and soy sauce, with a bit of salt, sugar, and sesame oil.
What is the best Chinese sauce?
Top 9 Chinese Sauces and Seasonings
- 02 of 09. Hoisin Sauce.
- 03 of 09. Rice Wine.
- 04 of 09. Rice Vinegar.
- 05 of 09. Oyster Sauce.
- 06 of 09. Asian Sesame Oil.
- 07 of 09. Chili Paste/Sauce.
- 08 of 09. Chili Bean Sauce.
- 09 of 09. Plum Sauce.
What are Chinese condiments?
Here, we introduce you to the most common seasonings used in daily cooking in a Chinese kitchen.
- Salt. Salt.
- Soy Sauce. Chinese: 酱油 jiàngyóu /jyang-yoh/
- Oyster Sauce. Chinese: 蚝油 háoyóu /haoww-yoh/
- Sesame Oil.
- Rice Vinegar.
- Rice Wine.
- Chili Sauce (or Chili Paste)
- Soybean Paste.
What is the brown sauce at Chinese restaurants?
Hoisin sauce is a flavorful condiment made of a variety of ingredients depending on the maker. It’s often made with soybeans, garlic, chile, sugar, and spices. Brown sauce is a slightly thinner, simpler sauce that is broth-based.
What’s brown sauce made of?
Brown sauce is a condiment served with food in the United Kingdom and Ireland, normally dark brown in colour. The ingredients include a varying combination of tomatoes, molasses, dates, apples, tamarind, spices, vinegar, and sometimes raisins.
What is hoisin sauce used for?
Hoisin sauce is a thick, fragrant sauce commonly used in Cantonese cuisine as a glaze for meat, an addition to stir fry, or as dipping sauce. It is darkly-colored in appearance and sweet and salty in taste. Although regional variants exist, hoisin sauce usually includes soybeans, fennel, red chili peppers, and garlic.
What is the yellow sauce at Chinese restaurants?
The yellow packets are Chinese hot mustard! Chinese mustard is pungent, spicy and strong in taste, and it’ll wake your taste buds up immediately with its horseradish-like heat. Like wasabi, it has sinus-clearing properties.
What is Chinese spaghetti sauce?
It’s ground beef in a silky Chinese-style brown sauce with plenty of delicious Asian flavors. Cooked until fragrant, mixed with green peas, and tossed with your favorite pasta, it’s similar to a traditional beef “Yook Soong,” but instead of serving it over rice, it’s tossed with spaghetti!
What are the different types of sauces?
- Barbecue Sauce. A thick tomato-based sauce containing a variety of spices and flavorings.
- Cocktail Sauce. A sauce similar to ketchup.
- Horseradish Sauce.
- Hot Sauce.
- Taco Sauce.
- Soy Sauce.
- Tartar Sauce.
What is the red sauce in Chinese food?
Sweet and Sour Sauce is as easy as bringing a few ingredients including pineapple juice, brown sugar, and soy sauce to a boil before adding a cornstarch slurry to the mixture to thicken it. The classic red color from sweet and sour sauce comes from red food coloring (which is completely optional).